Blood Alcohol Collection
The following special preparation is specific to blood alcohol collection:
- An alcohol prep pad must not be used in the collection of a blood alcohol test.
- The venipuncture site must be cleaned with a disinfectant such as green surgical soap or hydrogen peroxide.
- Do not use iodine (betadine) swabs because they also contain alcohol.
- If used for legal reasons, a chain of custody may be required.
- A special tube is also required (potassium oxalate), which may be obtained from the reference lab.